Like much of the UK right now, we are also being affected by the current energy crisis. We know that these unprecedented times are a worry for everyone, including our salons. So to try and combat this together we spoke to our Wonderful Brands Educator Zoë Rees and got her top energy saving tips to share with you all. Continue reading to see what she had to say.
Saving energy and helping the environment goes hand in hand. It doesn’t have to be complicated or overwhelming, in fact there are so many simple things we can do to make our salons more environmentally friendly. If we all made little changes, the results will be huge!
Here are my top energy saving tips:
- Switching energy provider to one that solely supplies renewable energy. (The Renewable Energy Guarantees of Origin scheme lets consumers know exactly how much electricity from a supplier comes from renewable sources)
- Choose energy efficient equipment with a good energy star rating.
- Switch to Ecoheads for your backwash to reduce water consumption up to 65%.
- Do not let hot water taps run when not being used. Did you know that using hot water is the most energy intensive thing we do?
- Turn off equipment at night. Have you heard about ‘phantom energy’? This is energy that is still being used by equipment that is plugged in but not in use. Phantom energy is a huge and completely avoidable waste.
- Turn off lights when not needed.
- Swap halogen and incandescent bulbs to low-energy LED bulbs.
- Install motion detectors for lighting frequently unoccupied areas.
- Look into solar panels to minimise your energy footprint. Ones with batteries mean you can store energy for later consumption or sell back excess energy to the national grid.
- Wait until you have a full load of salon towels to wash. Lower costs even further by washing on a lower heat and use a high spin to help with drying.
- Avoid using the tumble dryer which uses immense amounts of energy. Let towels air dry overnight on an airer.
- Try using a mix of biodegradable, compostable towels as well as reusable towels to reduce energy consumption and carbon footprint.
- Use one towel per client to reduce energy usage and be more environmentally friendly.
Follow Zoë Rees from Bliss Hair Therapy on instagram here → @BlissSalonB48